Site 9 St Bonnet
Site 9 : Le Château Daillon
From the 13th century until the Revolution (18th C) the castle was the property of various families of the aristocracy. It was bought, almost in ruins, by a Champsaur man who’d returned from California where he had emigrated in the mid 19th C and it became known as the American’s castle. “American” was the nickname given to the 5,000 emigrants who left the Champsaur Valley for the USA between 1820 and 1930.
Vivian chose a square composition for this pastoral landscape, the fence in the foreground giving depth to the image. The well lit cattle and apple trees fill the frame in the mid-ground, whilst in the background the tower of the Daillon castle stands out highlighting the dappled sky.